Louis Armstrong Garden Party — On a warm spring day, I swayed to music with good friends, swigged lemonade, and got my Satchmo learn on at the Louis Armstrong House Museum:
Photos from top:
- Louie was born in New Orleans’ “battlefield” neighborhood (aka the back o’ town/south rampart street section) in 1901; he never finished 5th grade.
- He met his 4th wife Lucille at the legendary Cotton Club. They later settled in Lucille’s old Corona, Queens neighborhood. The bathroom (no joke, I took the house tour) is the fanciest room in the house.
- Armstrong was the first person to ever record scat singing.
- His favorite foods were red beans and rice and swiss kriss (it’s for sale in the House Museum gift shop).
- A prolific documenter, his personal audio recordings collection has more than 650 reels.
- …and letter writer. Every fan that wrote to him, he wrote back.
- There are Louie recordings a plenty throughout the house. My personal favorite “Listen to all kinds of music… that’s what I’m trying to get in your head”. Very wise words Mr. Armstrong.
- My friend Tiana was damn right — that place is a gem. Go visit.
Trumpet stoop session; Me & Tiana goofing with Louie (check out that smile); Emily Asher
& band play the garden party; Welcome to Corona!