The Red Hook Criterium took place a few weeks back. Humble underground beginnings, motley racer profile and waterfront backdrop thread together perhaps the coolest, urban athletic event in the world. The race also doubles as my friend Dave’s birthday party.
If you noticed a break in posts here it’s because I was designing/writing/thinking up the spectator guide (see image top left above) along with my super talented pal Dana. Since she’s also one of my favorite people in the world, the immense side project was fun.
Not that I plan to compete in any fixed gear, night bike races anytime soon… but to get in the race spirit, I put this playlist together. Very helpful when I was spending many a late night writing the guide.
1. “Devil Town” by Tony Lucca
2. “Walk The Line” by The Tallest Man On Earth
3. “TIghten Up” by The Black Keys
4. “Oh No” by Girl Talk
5. “Keep on Running” by Stevie Wonder
6. “Code of the Streets” by Gangstarr
7. “Dancing On My Own” by Robyn
8. “Thieves In the Night” by Hot Chip
9. “Ain’t No Sunshine” by Bill Withers
10. “Dark Days” by Punch Brothers
11. “Higher Love” by Steve Winwood
12. “Pursuit of Happiness” by Kid Cudi
13. “Hit the Road Jack” by Ray Charles
14. “Home Again” by Michael Kiwanuka
(From top left — Criterium Spectator Guide; Sunny’s; Warm Up Drinks Invite; Crit Dinner; Pier 11 Race Course)
For more pics from the event — check out this photoblog.